Spice is Life-A Spiced Caramel Recipe
Spices and caramel have been around for centuries and are prized in cooking. Combine the two and you have the best of both worlds to use in anything you want. Creation is up to you Chef!
1. Over a boiling pot of water or double boiler, place a stainless steel bowl or heatproof glass, making sure it does not touch the water.
2. Put in the syrup and peppercorns, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger into the bowl and heat it through while stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
3. Sieve out the spice pieces with a skimmer or sieve spoon. You may keep the spices to flavor tea or discard.
4. Cool completely. Keeps in the refrigerator for 1 week covered. Warm gently if thickened or hardened.
Optional Sauce step:
5. Mix in heavy cream with a whisk or spatula directly after spice removal.
6. Add butter and stir everything together until the caramel smoothens out. Add vanilla extract if desired.
7. Let caramel sauce cool to room temperature and then transfer to a jar and refrigerate.
8. Stores in refrigerator for 1 month, or in the freezer for 3 months.
Preparing & Cooking time- 10 mins, plus cooling