It will pay off when gastronomers become more sustainable. As well as saving costs from using resources wisely, they will win new customers by standing out with their commitment.
Customers will appreciate the experience and staff will have a better working environment. Restaurateurs will genuinely make an impact on the environment and their community for example eliminating greenhouse gas emissions by reducing their energy use.
To be sustainable is to operate in a way that can be maintained forever given the available resources. This means minimizing the resources you use, using only renewable resources wherever possible and recycling. It is also about creating a positive impact through for example sourcing food that builds soil health.
As customers are ever more interested in how sustainable (or eco-friendly) a restaurant is, here are some simple ways gastronomers can make a change:
10 simple steps to start
- Minimize food waste
- Optimise the amount of water you use and don’t waste it
- Optimise the energy you use and don’t waste it
- Recycle your waste
- Switch to green energy
- Invest in energy efficient appliances
- Look at how you buy food - increase local, seasonal produce and order food in bulk
- Use eco-friendly disposables
- Choose eco-friendly cleaning products
- Involve your staff when finding and deciding what steps to take